Tuesday 28 May 2013

System Not Working

I've been having a problem with the system and as a result the water is draining out at the same speed as the water is being pumped in. After trying a few things I decided that my water flow was too high and the draining wasn't happening rapidly enough.

I thought perhaps there was a leak in the system as my male and female fittings didn't fit tightly enough. I decided to cut about 5mm off the end of the male part so that with the rubber o-rings the area was 100% watertight. I also used a wrench to ensure they were secure.

To draw the water out more quickly, a long down pipe is needed. I made the down pipe approximately twice as long which helped the water leave the grow bed more rapidly. My cat agreed.

Secondly. I changed the tube that was coming from the pump. Though it was recommended I use a 12mm tube, I've switched it for a 9mm tube which means the water will enter the grow bed much slower giving the siphon a chance to draw all the water out and to not get stuck in a cycle.

The last problem was that with recent rain in Sydney, the water in the fish tank was getting too high and the bottom of the down pipe was being submerged. This meant the siphon action wasn't cutting off properly and the issue mentioned earlier was occuring again. I've moved the system undercover to avoid rain making the water levels unbalanced.






No comments:

Post a Comment